MEGHAN Markle’s mum flew in to save the day yesterday and walk her daughter down the aisle.
Doria Ragland, 61, arrived from Los Angeles just two days after quitting her social worker job.
She landed at Heathrow but never set foot in the terminal, instead being whisked away VIP-style from the tarmac in a Jag to be reunited with her daughter.
It is understood that Doria will meet the Queen and Prince Philip for tea at Windsor Castle on Thursday.
Her 5,300-mile dash came after ex-hubby Thomas Markle pulled out of the big day, saying he was having heart surgery yesterday.
A source told the Sun: “Meghan is holding up OK but she has a lot on her plate.
What we know so far...
- Meghan Markle's dad Thomas will reportedly undergo major heart surgery on Wednesday afternoon and WON'T attend the Royal Wedding on Saturday
- He'd earlier said he wouldn't be attending for fear of embarrassing Meghan and the royal family over staged paparazzi photos
- The 73-year-old suffered a heart scare last week which he has reportedly blamed on an open letter by his son Tom Jr
- Mr Markle backed Meghan's mum Doria Ragland to give her away instead after he pulled out
- Mum Doria is said to not be on speaking terms with Thomas Markle, angry his family has been trashing Meghan
- Kensington Palace today announced that Prince George and Princess Charlotte would be among the bridesmaids and page boys at the wedding
- The bride's best friend Jessica Mulroney jetted into London Heathrow last night, with her kids - who will be in the wedding - by her side
“She doesn’t really know what to make of her dad’s behaviour. But she still loves him and is concerned for his health. It’s a very complicated situation but she’s really pleased to see her mom.
“She’d originally asked Doria to walk her down the aisle, and only asked her dad when she was told that would be more appropriate.
Doria has met Harry several times and they get on like a house on fire.
“It’s a shame her dad won’t meet Harry but Meghan is getting on with her big day.”
Doria is also due to meet Charles, Camilla, Kate and William before Saturday’s service.
Doria unexpectedly handed her notice in on Monday, prompting suggestions that she may make a permanent move to London.
She left her LA home on Tuesday evening carrying her wedding outfit in a Burberry carrier. At Heathrow she was picked up by the Jaguar estate car and driven across the tarmac to the Windsor Suite.
Doria stayed in the vehicle as her passport and visa form were taken by Meghan’s personal assistant Amy Pickerill and handed to an immigration official. He stood outside the car to check and stamp the documents before the Jag left. Doria was last night thought to be staying at the posh Cliveden estate — overlooking the Thames ten miles from Windsor Castle — where Meghan will spend the night before the wedding.
Her “Girl Friday” Amy, 32, was promoted from press officer to a deputy private secretary role last year. She has previously worked at RBS and was recruited by Harry’s press secretary Jason Knauf.
Also helping at Heathrow yesterday was Tifare Alexander, a Fijian-born corporal from the Parachute Regiment and the first orderly hired by Wills and Kate.
His responsibilities are believed to include chauffeuring and logistics. He waited to collect Doria’s bags including the Burberry carrier she was seen with in LA.
Meanwhile more fans set up camp in Windsor yesterday to get prime spots for Saturday.
Like Doria, Nancy McCoy, 72, travelled from California. She told The Sun: “I have been coming out for all the royal events since 1995. I must’ve spent thousands but it’s always worth it.
“I’m delighted for Meghan. I was surprised an American was marrying into the Royal Family but they seem so happy together.”
Patrick O’Neill, 28, from Belfast, said he had been in position since Tuesday.
He added: “I have met Meghan before in Belfast and she was absolutely lovely.”
John Loughrey, 63, from Streatham, South London, said the KP fan club, named after the couple’s Kensington Palace residence, were ready to party with champagne.
- COMIC Russell Brand yesterday told ITV’s Loose Women he kissed Meghan on the set of his 2010 film Get Him To The Greek. She played a partygoer and while their smooch never made the cut Brand said he had seen a clip online. He joked: “They should bring that up at the wedding. Yeah, Russell snogged her in the film!”