Quick links: Breaking Election Invest Bitcoin Syria North Korea Hot clicks Scandal Topless
www.paywallnews.com Only News Behind Paywalls
The Age / Life - Entertain

The Force is with him: Iron Man director Jon Favreau to lead Star Wars TV series

The project, which is still untitled, is expected to launch in 2019 as the spearhead of a Disney-owned streaming platform.

  • Entertainment
  • TV & radio
  • Star Wars

The Force is with him: Iron Man director Jon Favreau to lead Star Wars TV series

By Michael Idato9 March 2018 — 7:35am

Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size

Jon Favreau, the director of Iron Man and producer of the Iron Man and Avenger films, will take the reins of the highly-anticipated Star Wars live action television series.

Disney-owned Lucasfilm, which owns the Star Wars franchise, confirmed Favreau would produce the series, tipped to be the show that launches Disney's planned Netflix-bruising streaming platform.

Director Jon Favreau has been named as the director of the forthcoming Star Wars TV series.

Photo: AP

The planned Star Wars television series does not yet have a title, a time period or any story or character details.

"If you told me at 11-years-old that I would be getting to tell stories in the Star Wars universe I wouldn’t have believed you," Favreau said on Friday.

"I can't wait to embark upon this exciting adventure."

Lucasfilm's president Kathleen Kennedy said Favrueau brought "the perfect mix of producing and writing talent".

She also noted his "fluency" with the Star Wars universe and its characters.


Favreau is an accomplished writer, producer and director; he is also a genre fan favourite with a number of key Marvel titles - notably Iron Man - to his name.

The 51-year-old producer-director is currently filming another major project for Disney, the live-action remake of The Lion King, which stunned fans who glimpsed a preview at last year's D23 convention, and is expected to dominate the box office in 2019.

Lucasfilm's confirmation of Favreau comes as the studio moves past several bruising stumbles in the development and launch of its standalone Star Wars feature film series.

The studio has already announced a new film trilogy set in the Star Wars universe from The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson.

And earlier this year they confirmed a second film trilogy from Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

The two film trilogies will come after 2019's ninth and final episode of the existing Star Wars saga, which focuses on the Skywalker family and began with 1977's Star Wars.

Whether the television series airs before or after the final Star Wars Skywalker-themed film is not clear.

Disney's planned streaming service is pencilled for a "late 2019" launch but no actual date has been announced.

License this article

  • Star Wars

Comments disabled

Morning & Afternoon Newsletter

Delivered Mon–Fri.

Email address

By signing up you accept our privacy policy and conditions of use