This week, a Reddit thread asked users, "What's the best advice you've ever received for making a sandwich better?" The thread quickly went viral, with thousands of people sharing their favorite sandwich hacks.
Here are some of the best responses.
1. "The bread needs to match the filling. Hard bread for hard fillings, and soft bread for soft fillings."
2. "Herbs and spices. Oregano, garlic, salt, thyme, or a fresh sprig of dill can make a sandwich better."
3. "A light coat of mayo on the bread serves an important purpose. Its hydrophobic nature protects the bread from getting soggy from other liquids inside the sandwich."
4. "When making a sandwich with avocado, don't cut the fruit into slices and place it on the sandwich. Mash up the green stuff and treat it like a spread."
5. "Bread is the foundation of a sandwich. If you find bread that you can eat with just a nice schmear of butter on it, anything else you throw on it will be great!"
6. "Pepper the tomatoes."
7. "Put the sandwich on a panini press. It's way better."
8. "When making a peanut butter and jelly, especially when packing for lunch, spread a light layer of peanut butter on the side the jelly will go on. This prevents the jelly from bleeding through the bread."
9. "Never let the meat on the sandwich lie flat. Get thin-cut slices at the deli, and crumple them up on your sandwich."
10. "Cut it into triangles instead of rectangles."
11. "I make a lot of 'grilled' sandwiches and for years I would butter the bread with a knife before putting it in the hot pan. When the butter was cold that is super annoying to do.And then I realized... Just put a pat of butter in the hot pan, and as soon as it melts drop the sandwich on it."
"It's the same fucking thing without the risk of tearing your bread up!"
12. "Put potato chips on it, if it's a cold cut. The saltiness and crunch really add something to it."
13. "If you've got a flavorful meat like pastrami, it's sometimes worth using a simpler bread (like white) so the flavor of the meat is brought out."
14. "Cinnamon and raisin bagels go well with savory fillings."
15. "Make your own mayo. It's not terribly complicated, and homemade mayo tastes 10 times better than anything from a jar."
16. "Thinly slice cucumbers. It's better than lettuce."
17. "Wrap it up tightly. This is especially true of hot sandwiches, but it has a noticeable impact on cold sandwiches too."
"Just a piece of wax paper, butcher paper, or even tin foil. Wrap it tight, let it sit for at least a minute, and your entire sandwich experience will be elevated!"
18. "For grilled cheese sandwiches, using mayo instead of butter changed my life."
19. "Sprinkle the outside of your grilled cheese with a shredded or grated cheese for a crispy cheese shell."
20. "Professional cooks layer textural 'grippy' items with the slippery items, to prevent your sandwich from turning into a big fall-apart mess."
"Grippy thing (bread), slippy thing (mayo), grippy thing (bacon), slippy thing (avocado), etc."
21. "Sliced bread is the worst thing since sliced bread. Cut that loaf yourself."
Responses have been edited for formatting and clarity.
Get all the best Tasty recipes in your inbox! Sign up for the Tasty newsletter today!
You're almost there! Check your inbox and confirm your subscription now!View Comments