President Donald Trump has accepted an invitation to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, the White House said Thursday.
A senior South Korean official, who broke news of the invitation and Trump’s acceptance in an appearance in front of microphones at the White House on Thursday evening, said the meeting could be held by May.
Kim Jong Un talked about denuclearization with the South Korean Representatives, not just a freeze. Also, no missile testing by North Korea during this period of time. Great progress being made but sanctions will remain until an agreement is reached. Meeting being planned!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 9, 2018
The White House afterward confirmed the invitation but said the “time and place” of the meeting between the two leaders was yet to be determined. The press conference by South Korea’s national-security adviser, Chung Eui-yong, followed his passing of the invitation to Trump earlier in the day, though news of Kim’s overture and Trump’s acceptance appeared to catch several U.S. officials off guard.
The White House said in a statement that all U.S. sanctions on Pyongyang and its strategy of “maximum pressure” on the regime would remain in place. Chung said Kim also reaffirmed that he was prepared to suspend nuclear and missile tests while North Korea engages in talks on the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula. Chung and South Korea’s intelligence chief, Sun Hoon, met earlier this week in Pyongyang with Kim.
An expanded version of this report appears on WSJ.com.
Also popular on WSJ.com:
Facebook really is spying on you, just not through your phone’s mic.
Meet Peter Navarro, the man behind Trump’s embrace of tariffs.